MEDECINS DU MONDE (Doctors of the World) FRANCE seeks a MEDICAL ADVISOR
For Russia (based in Moscow)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a medical organization committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies. Those working for this independent organization do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations. MdM currently works in 46 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: caring for the health of migrants and displaced persons, promoting sexual and reproductive health, combating HIV and reducing the harm and risks associated with drug use and sex work, preventing detrimental health effects of toxic environments, crises and conflicts.
The mission in Russia is currently focusing on a 3-year program which aims at preventing STI/HIV among sex workers, violence and other health issues related to their activity. MDM-F works in partnership with the local NGO Shagi (which has been working with persons living with HIV for more than 10 years). The program provides prevention services, facilitates community mobilization. MDM and its partners also seek to engage into a regional strategy, covering Russia and Eastern Europe, to defend health of sex workers.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Under the supervision of the General Coordinator and in close cooperation with the Eurasia unit Medical Advisor in Paris headquarters, you will be in charge of piloting the current programme and the quality of the medical aspects of the project, including monitoring and evaluation components.
MEDICAL QUALITY AND RELEVANCE:
You will act as the focal point for the proper coordination of the program on all medical aspects and ensure the quality of the project activities. As such you will ensure that all activities with medical component are in line with MdM strategy and international good practice, and especially:
- You will take part in the reflection on the strategy implementation and readjustment if needed;
- You will check on the relevancy of medical information delivered to the project’s beneficiaries (both orally by team members and through IEC materials);
- You will identify areas where additional training is needed for the project’s staff, and build their capacities (through on-job training, workshop, formal training, etc.);
- You will take part to the outreach activities and drop-in center activities making sure that the service delivered meets the quality standards for both delivery of prevention material, Health Education materials handling, counseling, testing and interacting with projects’ clients, confidentiality of information;
- You will make sure of the quality of referral system, design the pathway (referral and counter-referral) and take part in the identification and training of medical doctors or health facilities where to refer beneficiaries of the program;
- You will make sure that the medical framework of the project meets international and local standards in HIV and STI fields (prevention, testing and treatment);
- You will make sure that the composition of the prevention kits and medical items for testing, storage and handling meets good practices.
- Together with our partners’ coordinators, you will coordinate the implementation of the programme and ensure that its target and quality requirements are met;
- You will supervise programme activities directly implemented by MDM-F;
- You will supervise, monitor, analyse and evaluate programme outcomes on a regular basis;
- You will follow-up HIV, STI and sex workers related policies and laws in Russia;
- You will participate in the writing of donor’s and HQ’s reports and proposals;
- You will contribute to programmes strategic plans and reviews in line with MdM policies and priorities;
- You will support the General Coordinator in terms of representation and coordination with program partners, and relevant civil society organisations, medical and public stakeholders;
- You will be in charge of piloting surveys and assessments for MDM-F in Russia;
Monitoring and Evaluation:
- In close collaboration with local partners you will supervise and support data entry both for the project indicators and for the cohort research developed with partners.
- You will check the results of data files with monthly monitoring data prepared by the partner and ensured proper dispatching to the project staff in Moscow and HQ;
- You will monitor project activities by analyzing indicators according to the operational targets and report to the General Coordinator.
- You will monitor and follow up on political and legislative environment of HIV in the Russian Federation.
- Degree in Medicine or master degree in Public health.
- Strong experience in implementing and/or coordinating and/or supervising medical programs
- Experience in working with implementing partners, training and capacity building
- Experience in working with medical NGO is a strong asset
- Knowledge of HIV/STI prevention and treatment policies appreciated
- Experience in working with vulnerable populations (sex workers, drug users…) appreciated
- Russian as native and good command of English (oral and written)
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Computer skills: Excellent command of Microsoft Word, Excel
- Flexible and able to adapt
- Non-judgmental approach to others
- You will be committed to MdM’s values as an organization and be motivated by its non-statutory, Not-For-Profit model
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Starting: asap
- Location: Moscow
- Duration: 1 year with possible contract extension
- Conditions of employment: 100 % time
- Contract: Fixed Term Contract
Candidates can send their CV and letter of motivation in English