Marriott International is the world’s leading global hospitality company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. With 5,700 properties, you’ll find us in your neighborhood and in more than 110 countries across the globe. Learn about our 30 hotel brands at www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi. Find Your World.™
Situated on the river banks of Essil, in the heart of Astana's Central Park and in the center of the Diplomatic district The St. Regis Astana will open early 2017.
120 sumptuous guest Suites feature a unique identity of discreet luxury. The hotel will embrace a specialty grill restaurant where guests enjoy an unrivaled service and sample the best ingredients or indulge in the flawless luxury of Iridium Spa after a long day of captivating city impressions or business meetings.
Position Title - Deputy Director of Engineering
Report to – Director of Engineering
- Provide advice to Director of Engineering on all aspects of engineering support, environmental controls and the operational efficiency of the property.
- Ensure the effective financial management of the engineering department by setting maintenance budgets, capital works programmes and engineering plans and ensuring that performance is regularly monitored and reviewed.
- Responsible for the general cost control aspects of maintenance, the preparation of departmental cost budgets and their implementation and submission to management.
- Assit on Control of Project Planning, in liaison with management, to ensure capital funding is effectively allocated and budgeted in accordance with company directives and philosophy.
- Plan, implement and administer an energy management programme by establishing energy reduction objectives, the maintenance of records and regular reporting of performance against these objectives.
- Ensure the staff awareness of energy management within the property by conducting regular education and training programmes on energy conservation and matters related to efficient operation of equipment in a cost-effective fashion.
- Contribute to the hotel’s profitability by ensuring the effective management of the buildings environmental controls and energy conservation systems. Evaluate, control and record energy usage and implement and upgrade energy conservation systems.
- Contribute to guest satisfaction standards by ensuring that technical support services quickly address, and where possible, anticipate, individual needs. Ensure the safety and comfort of guests, and that any requests for service are handled in a courteous and efficient fashion.
- Ensure adherence to all statutory regulations and fire codes by regularly reviewing policies and safety procedures. Ensure that any tests and inspections required on plant by statutory authorities are carried out as and when required and that all records and documentation associated with such tests and surveys are correctly kept and/or displayed. Ensure that the hotel fulfills all compliance requirements.
- Ensure a technically competent engineering staff by selecting, training and developing a motivated, well-qualified maintenance team. Carry out regular work sampling studies within the department and evaluate the performance and productivity of personnel.
- Maintain the condition of the physical assets of the hotel by carrying out any upgrading and project work in liaison with the Director of Engineering.
- Ensure the effective operation of all the mechanical and electrical systems and equipment by implementing and managing a preventative maintenance programme. Closely monitor the condition of the physical property and equipment by conducting continual inspections of the building. Ensure that preventative maintenance schedules are in operation and regularly upgraded.
- Contribute to a high standard of quality control within the hotel by actively participating in the hotel’s Quality Assurance Programme.
- Closely supervise outside contractors to ensure the cost effectiveness and the technical efficiency of all services performed. Ensure all work is carried out in accordance with contracts, leases, service agreements and warranties.
- Ensure the quality of all work completed by both employees and external contracted staff adheres to the standards of good engineering practice.
- Contribute to the effectiveness of management decision making by representing the engineering department at all executive and staff meetings and by ensuring regular liaison with heads of other departments.
It is envisaged that the successful candidate will have the following personal characteristics:
- A commercially oriented thinker who will be an active contributor to management deliberations, focusing in on the more efficient and profitable operation of the hotel.
- The individual needs to be an effective communicator and able to motivate and lead the engineering team.
- The individual needs to have been exposed to senior management responsibilities with total accountability for the operation of a significantly sized technical department.
- The individual needs to be an effective trainer and able to develop staff such that continuity planning is catered for.
- The individual needs to have effective negotiation skills and be able to deal with external contractors.
- The individual needs to be an effective administrator and able therefore to maintain records and an effective secretarial function.
- As a leader the individual will need to possess the necessary drive to introduce Starwood philosophies at the grass roots level.
- The individual needs to have a strong service orientation beyond the focus of technical requirements
- The individual needs to be a disciplined and analytical thinker who is an effective planner and able to communicate in correspondence and reports effectively.
- The individual needs to ensure industrial harmony within the area of responsibility and contribute to committees dealing with quality control, delivery standards, fire and safety and workplace health and safety.
- Needs to be a commitment to a set of ethical policies and practices that are in keeping with the Starwood professional code of conduct.
- Shall be able to write/read and speak fluently English.
- High school or equivalent education required.
- HND/HNC Engineering or Electrical.
- Professional qualification in Engineering or Electrical vocation.
- Extensive experience in a major hotel, hospital, or building, in a managerial / supervisory capacity.
- All employees must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Starwood standards.
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an employee in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.