At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals. We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
About the role:
We are seeking a Senior Site Operations Engineer who will develop the technology to automate the management of our environment, including configuration, deployment, auto-scaling, redundancy, monitoring, load-testing and auto-validation. In this role you will be a key engineer that will make sure that our systems are up and performing to our growing demand. This position requires a heavy amount of automation, so you will be scripting/coding. You will have direct impact on how code gets deployed and all the pieces are put together in a build environment, how automation and building tools help to monitor and manage your application.
Our application stack is based mostly on Java, however most of our operations automation is developed in Python. The major components we use daily are Linux, Tomcat, Ansible, Puppet, Cassandra, Kafka, MySQL, Jenkins, Fabric, HAProxy. We leverage mostly externally hosted bare metal servers, with some virtualization thrown into the mix. Nowadays we’re moving to SOA and using Mesos, Aurora, Docker.
Challenges for you:
- Provision Linux-based infrastructure
- Analyse and improve our CI
- Develop operations driven internal tools, primarily Python
- Perform deep dives into reliability issues, partnering with software engineers across the organization to produce fixes
- As a senior engineer, you will get the opportunity to contribute towards process and technology choices that help deliver the best solutions
- Fluent in Linux and all layers of the networking stack
- Scripting ability in Python or Ruby
- System engineering experience in the cloud
- Experience with configuration management tools including Puppet, Ansible
- Good verbal and written English
- Experience with supporting highload Java applications
- RDBMS performance engineering experience
Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive salaries and Equity Options
- Choose your technology. Mac or PC
- Conference visits with all expenses paid
- No middle managers and unnecessary bureaucracy
- Full-time, flexible work schedule
- Ability to grow professionally in a global team, and improve your English
- Fruits and snacks
- Free Fitbit products