- As a primary technical contact Network Consulting Engineer (NCE) is responsible for providing consultative, proactive and/or reactive support to Cisco accounts.
- Depending on the Service Contract or SOW (Statement of Work) the individual may be responsible for network planning, design, implementation, operation and optimization (PDIOO). This may include remote or on-site: infrastructure design, implementation planning, deployment support, software strategy, performance engineering and optimization, knowledge transfer and mentoring, proof-of-concept testing, network auditing/sizing, pre-staging, pre-configuration, deployment planning and acceptance of Cisco product in execution or advisory/assistance or support models. NCE gives technical guidance to customers and internal parties as required.
- NCE becomes the trusted advisor, building a solid, long-term relationship with customers through providing technical thought leadership in solving customer issues and helping them achieve their business outcomes.
- Aligns with and supports company policies, processes, and utilizes relevant tools, to effectively execute the role, and support Cisco’s strategies and goals.
- Engages in continuous improvement by reusing and enhancing the existing knowledge base, learning new technologies, and learning new technologies, architectures, and techniques.
Education and Experience
Bachelor of Computer Science or equivalent plus 4-6 years of work experience in design, deployment (including hands-on configuration) and troubleshooting Cisco Network Security solutions.
Related Business/Technical Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- CCNP Security certification
- Level of knowledge equal (but not limited) to CCIE Security v4.1 blueprint
- Professional level in IP Routing protocols (OSPF, EIGRP, BGP), LAN switching, QoS
- Expert level internetworking troubleshooting in a large-scale network environment
- Expert level knowledge in the following Cisco Network Security technologies and products:
- ASA Firewalls (integration in modern DC designs, L2/L3, single/multiple context mode, failover, Clustering, Remote Access and L2L VPNs)
- Firepower (Sourcefire appliances, Firepower Threat Defense)
- VPN (Cisco IOS PKI, ZFW, all types of VPNs: EzVPN, DMVPN, GETVPN, FlexVPN, etc.)
- TrustSec (knowledge of CVD for wired and wireless use cases, SGT propagation, profiling, posturing)
- ACS 5.x
- Cisco IOS Security (CoPr, uRPF, AAA, etc)
- Security NMS: (ASDM, Cisco Security Manager,Firepower Management Center)
- Microsoft PKI
- Lancope (optional, but would be advantage)
- Strong knowledge of former and present Cisco reference architectures for Enterprise Network (Cisco Validated Designs, SAFE, etc).
- Very Strong (preferred: Excellent) Consulting and communication skills.
- Good knowledge in other areas like: Enterprise R&S, DC network, WAN protocols.
- Good understanding of virtualization (ESXi) which is required to build proof of concepts, make recreates of the customer's environments.
- Basic knowledge of scripting languages (Perl/Python/Bash) which is sufficient to build automation tools for routine job.
- Good knowledge of traffic generation tools/equipment (iPerf, IxChariot, Ixia hardware traffic generators) is advantage.
- Good understanding of Microsoft Active Directory (Domains/Forests/Domain Controllers, WSUS, experience in Certificate Authorities configuration and deployment).
- Large-scale network design skills.
- In-depth knowledge of network management, network availability & capacity planning.
- Good understanding of industry overarching Governance, Standards, Policies and Practices.
- Russian: fluent
- English: upper-intermediate