Role Description and Purpose:
Provide administrative support for the Vice President by performing a variety of administrative and organization functions. Responsible for listening to, understanding, and translating spoken or written statements from one language to another. Reproduce statements in another language for unique listening or reading audience. Responsible for facilitating cross-cultural communication through the process of converting one language into a different language. Along with simple translation relays the ideas and concepts between different languages. It is important to thoroughly understand the subject matter in which a translator or interpreter is working in order to convey information accurately. Furthermore, translators and interpreters must be culturally sensitive. This will be a very varied role providing administrative and executive support in an environment where compliance, personal initiative and willingness to help are critical.
- Provide full range of administrative and organizational support
- Calendar management (organizing and maintaining calendar/arranging appointments)
- Handling correspondence
- Assist with emails, letters, proposals, spreadsheets and other documents
- Invoices controlling and preparing expense reports
- Clerical duties (e-mail, mail, faxes, filing, typing)
- Provide accurate simultaneous interpretation
- this job requires that you have a high level of stamina, focus and energy
- Facilitate effective communication between two parties that do not speak a similar language by converting one spoken or written language to another.
- Attend conferences and meetings and act as official translator to mediate discussion.
- Relay concepts and ideas between languages.
- Convert written materials from one language into another, such as presentation, publications, web pages and articles.
- Create a new text in the target language that reproduces the content and style of the original.
- Edit and proofread text to accurately reflect language.
- Receive and submit assignments electronically.
- Use dictionaries and glossaries for reference.
- Facilitate communication for people with limited English proficiency.
- Accompany foreign visitors and facilitate communication between receiving party and visitors.
- Adapt a product or service for use in a different language and culture.
- Check original texts or confer with authors to ensure that translations retain the content, meaning, and feeling of the original material.
- Check translations of technical terms and terminology to ensure that they are accurate and remain consistent throughout translation revisions.
- Proofread, edit, and revise translated materials.
- Follow ethical codes that protect the confidentiality of information.
- Adapt software and accompanying technical documents to another language and culture.
- Travel on business trips with business development representatives who speak another language.
Critical experience and skills:
- Knowledge of corporate ethic and culture
- Knowledge of cross cultural differences
- an excellent command of English and the other language(s) into which may interpret;
- knowledge of at least one additional language for freelance interpreting and two or ideally more for a staff position in
- conference interpreting;
- a good memory and the ability to learn fast;
- the skills to interact well with people and work as part of a team;
- the ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality;
- flexibility to deal calmly with unexpected and difficult situations;
- reliability, dedication and commitment;
- Knowledge of current affairs, politics and different cultures and customs.
- Experience not less than 10 years as a Personal Assistant to the Head of the company and within international companies. Educational backgrounds can vary; but most often need a bachelor’s degree. (ideally in linguistics or philology)
- English writing and comprehension and basic computer proficiency.
- Extensive reading in more than one language can be helpful as well.