The External Relations Associate functions under the direct supervision of the Representative. The incumbent will receive regular guidance and advice from the supervisor. He/she may also receive advice and operational support from the External Relations/Public Information Units at the HQ. The candidate will play a key role to establish external relations with a broad range of officials from national and international institutions, media or general public involving the exchange of a wide range of information.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- UNHCR Country Office establishes and manages external relations activities in the country to protect, assist and find durable solutions for all persons of concern.
Responsibilities (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Provide background briefings to local and international media.
- Keep track of evolving issues concerning persons of concern to be able to suggest stories and topics for the media to cover.
- Provide daily briefings on local developments to the Head of Office and ensure that briefing materials from other offices are available.
- Accompany visits of foreign delegations and the media to refugee sites in the region, giving appropriate briefings, commentaries and prepare briefing material for visitors.
- Establish contacts with local organisations to promote general interest and understanding of refugee issues
- Ensure that the office is kept informed of local developments which may have a political or operational impact on the office's activities.
- May be required to compile information and SitReps received from the Field Offices and/or sections within the Office and consolidate into weekly/monthly/quarterly report.
- Advise the Head of Office of local aspects of external relations policies
- Perform other related duties as required.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Liaise with external partners and local organizations on behalf of UNHCR.
- Produce reports and briefings for internal and external partners.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- Completion of Secondary education with certificate/training in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Journalism, Communication or other related fields.
- Minimum 6 years of previous relevant job experience.
- Computer and IT skills (MS Office, website preparation etc.).
- Fluency in English and Russian.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of position.
- Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
- Interested candidates matching the criteria should send their CV and motivation letter
- The deadline for applications is 31 January 2019
- Duration of the contract is 6 months (short-term appointment)
- Assignment date is 16 February 2019.
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.